Thursday, October 10, 2013

Interview with Peter Bagge over his works, grunge movement among other subjects

Comical Funnies



1. You started working at screw in 1980 where you created comical funnies and later on 1983 you passed some copies to Robert Crumb and you started working on weird in 1983 and you edited it for 3 years, how was it for you working with Crumb and editing that magazine with such great names as: Charles Burns, Baudoin, Julie Doucet, Daniel Clowes, Gary Panter, Harvey Pekar and Raymond Petitbon?

Daniel Clowes - Lloyd Llewellyn



Julie Doucet - Dirty Plotte
Charles Burns - Black Hole


Edmund Baudoin




Raymond Pettitbon

     Well, the job paid terrible, and the responsibility that came with it was very stressful.  But I learned a lot, and developed good relationships with many of the people you mentioned.  Crumb in particular was most helpful.


Robert Crumb
2. Neat Stuff was the first work that you produced to Fantagraphics, were you a wild spirit in 1985?

Hardly!  I was a workaholic by that point, desperately trying to get my career off the ground.  I wasted a lot of time during you school years, and had a lot of catching up to do!


3. In 1990, your created Hate with the amazing Bradleys and their lives on a really punk atitude, did you saw the world on the 1990's as a total Riot?

I still was living the life a a work-a-day husband and dad.  So not much rioting for me, though I still had SOME fun.  And I still knew people who lived the life portrayed in those comics.

4. You satirized a lot of the Grunge movement on Seattle and put it like a minor thing, weren't you interested at all on this movement that gave the world Nirvana or you basically prefered The Ramones atitude?


I was very surprised at how huge Grunge became, since nothing about it struck me as new at all.  Both the clothes and music reminded me a lot of my own high school days in the '70s. But it did help break down the barrier between mainstream and underground cultures, which was a good thing for the most part.


5. Your drawing style's quite unique (it seems that your characters always had electricity on their body), do you drawn them this way to give them a sense of movement or you didn't think at this at the time?

I very much wanted to create the feeling of energy and movement in my drawings.  I was very inspired visually by old Warner Brothers cartoons.

6. Buddy Bradley was really the common nerd of the nineties with lots of strange things happening to him at the same time, do you think that you captured a generation mood with him?

 I've certainly been told that many times, though I don't think his personality is unique to any one generation.


7. How was it for you to work with Kim Thompson? (I talked with him some times and he always seemed one step ahead of anybody on the comics art form)

He was very knowlegable and reliable.  He also was very opinionated, which caused us to argue a lot.  But I miss him terribly.

8. I remember the contest that you made for Hate issue 10 for a Buddy look a like, did you had lots of people sending you photos at the time for it?

Hate - Issue 10
 Oh, yes.  And in fact, someone from a Canadian newspaper just interviewed me today, and he told me he was one of the finalists in that contest!

9. The phrase 'I scream, you scream, we all scream for heroín' was stuck on lots of your readers and on the Grunge movement at the time, did you thought at that time that with a comic book you were passing a message of how this movement was so 'wrong'?

No, I was just being absurd.  I had no idea heroin was so popular at the time! 

10. I remember also: Studs Kirby that seemed like the man who wanted to change the world but felt impotent on doing it, did you feel at the time that your 'Voice' wasn't being listened?

Studs represented the more obnoxious, politically incorrect aspect of my own personality.  He'd say things I was afraid to say -- even if they were things I didn't believe in myself!



11. What do you think of the comics today, do they've the same impact on people lives like they had on previous generations?
        There are more cartoonists now than ever, and more talented ones than ever.  I have no idea what impact they're having on others, though.  That's impossible to gauge.



12. Which are your favourite comic book creators of all times?

Crumb, Charles M Schulz and Dan Clowes.  In that order.



 
CharlesSchulz - Peanuts
Daniel Clowes - Like a Velvet Glove
Crumb



 
13. Have you ever been to Europe? How does an american sees Europe on your opinion?
      That's a big question!  We're not as different as we all like to pretend we are, though.


Thanks for the kind interview to Peter Bagge

No comments:

Post a Comment