Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Exclusive interview/conversation to Oleg Guitaracula - Leader of Russian band Messer Chups



Somewhere in a rainy night


I was lost in a dark night in Europe, I know that it was raining cats and dogs while I was listening to one of my favourite songs ever named "Bela Lugosi's dead" by British band Bauhaus that is a tribute to Hungarian actor Bela Lugosi, visioning French band Nouvelle Vague's version of it with French singer Liset Agea performing it live wearing a stunning dress.


Liset Agea from Nouvelle Vague and Mascara Girl within words

 I was drinking some orange juice and smoking some cigarettes thinking if Hungarian actor Bela Lugosi was dead or undead, when out of the blue appeared Messer Chups leader Oleg Fomchenkov also known as Guitaracula that asked me this


Oleg Guitaracula

- Are you crazy drinking orange juice?
 He looked at the bartender and asked him for a bottle of vodka and I've shared some cigarettes with him.
 I looked at a window and it was raining a lot and I couldn't see my or Oleg's reflection on it.
 I've asked this to myself:
- Are we both undead?


Oleg and a simple John Doe from Porto

 I think that Zombierella was there also doing her make up while eating fried chicken wings, but I don't remember every single moment of that day.
 White noise was running in my mind and I started chit chatting with Oleg while I was a bit hypnotized while seeing his guitar that was spread on the floor of the bar.
 After several cigarettes and shots of Vodka, I was actually having a normal conversation with Oleg and he was a real nice guy that provided me some words that I needed to put in writing.
  Later Zombierella came with some chicken fried wings and offered them to me.
 At that time, I was absolutely positive that Bela Lugosi was undead but I didn't said this to Oleg because he was being really nice to me.
 Below is a transcription/interview of what we talked in that night along vodka, cigarettes, whiskey, fried chicken wings, orange juice and an hypnotizing guitar that was staring at me.

01. Messer Chups is a band that is from 2000. You're the only musician that was always in the band.
Can you tell us a bit about the origins of this band?
I also remember reading somewhere in the world wide web that the band's name is a mix of a tribute to Chupa Chups candy and some german word, can you also tell where's fact and myth regarding Messer Chups name?


Messer Chups - the band 

 Messer chups... 
Messer is an English knife and chups are from Chupa Chups... an icicle lollipop ... it turns out a lollipop knife ... I came up with this name in 1998 in the city of Hamburg - Germany then I had a group band named Messer fur fray Muller...
 In english a knife for Frau Muller... and I gave there our first concert and the word Messer I left so that people would understand that these are remnants of the old group...





Chupa chups candy lollypops

Messer german knifes


02. What sort of music genre Messer Chups play? Some people say that's rockabilly, surf music or simple rock and roll.
 I remember listening to rockabilly when I was a teenager and to rock and roll, but I really don't know what sort of music genre surf music is.
Is it music for surfers?
Is it music to catch some sea wave?



A surf music album

We play Surf n roll is a mix of classic surf rock and rock and billy and rock n roll and hot rod... but now I initially experimented with scabs and retro sound of 50 / 60s... later we decided to get away from computers and samples and began to play everything live... I am a bit bored to explain what is Surf Music.
 I don’t like to explain anything, I like to rave about to carry more nonsense and nonsense and think up something silly... here


The Cramps - Of the bone 


03. I like some of Messer Chups music, it reminds me a bit of The Cramps.

Do you've any musical influence from the above mentioned musical band?





Well, I don’t think that Messer Chups are similar to The Cramps... not at all, I know their sound and I like them, but I’m inspired by artists from the 50s...60s, so there’s some comparison. offspring and have a beautiful girl with a guitar but it's nice if we are compared with them.


Messer Chups - Visual scenario

04. The scenario of Messer Chups videos and even your nickname "Guitaracula" is based on weird/creepy stuff like zombies, mummies, vampires, werewolves, Twin Peaks series, pretty women and ghoulish stuff.
Can you tell us how this visual culture influenced Messer Chups as a band while developping your own identity in the musical scene?


Well, all of us or most of us since childhood love these images and I've always found them much more interesting than anything else... science fiction vampires and simple skeletons... we just do what we like but unlike the heavy metal bands we have more self-irony and irony... but not only do we have a horror element, we use a lot more different images and hoaxes... 
 I like hypnosis and meditation... 
 I like hypnotising people using guitars


A simple John Doe holding printed pictures with Hungarian actor Bela Lugosi and Svetlana Zombierella Nagaeva along an artwork based on Zombierella by American Artist Robert Kotrola and a XXIST century woman artwork by Spanish artist Jon Ander Azaola

05. I remember talking with Svetlana about zombies in a conversation that I had with her this year and she told me something similar to this: "Zombies are my friends, so sometimes people call me zombie". 

 What is the importance of a pretty XXIst century woman playing bass in Messer Chups not only as a musician but also as a character in the band's visual scenario?


I do not quite understand this question, so I will answer as I did... 

 Nothing is important for me... 
 Since I am very important and I think that this is the most important.


A simple John Doe at Porto

06. I know that you played in Porto, that's the city where I was born. What do you as a Russian from Saint Petersburg saw in this city's atmosphere, architecture and people?


I don’t remember exactly what I saw too many concerts around the world...
  I think that Porto and Portuguese people in general are very open people to rock and roll... 
 Always had a good reaction at concerts and the architecture itself is very beautiful... nice city.



A John Doe holding a printed picture with Bauhaus lead singer Peter Murphy stating that Bela Lugosi is undead 


07. I love some weird/creepy movies since I was a child that starred actors like, Lon Chaney, Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff or Bela Lugosi.
Have you ever thought within your mind if Bela Lugosi is actually not dead, but undead?


I think he is dead this is sung in the song of the group Bauhaus))) 
 I trust these guys they will not lie ... 
 We also sang this song in the Bonecollectors project.


Frame of Messer Chups video Surf n rolla 


08. I love a music video by Messer Chups named Rock and Rolla.
Can you tell us a bit of how this fascinating musical video was created?


This video was shot in one of the European tours. 
 We often do everything we see on tour and then I edit the video and we get a lot of such clips, and now I’m working on a new video after our American tour that just ended



White noise


09. I'm a guy that listens to several bands but mostly to bands that create white noise within my mind.
Have you ever thought on creating a song only with white noise on it?


No, I try to think less I have a small head and there is little space ...
 I can’t think much I have little RAM ...
  So I often just look at one point and pretend that I think but I don’t think .. just don't tell anyone about it.



Saint Petersburg - Russia 


10. You're Russian and during the Cold War, Western Europe and American people, commonly refered to Russians as "cold" people that live in the biggest country in this world. 
Can you tell us a bit of how you actually see and always saw Russia and Russian people in general?


I am Russian and it’s not easy for us as there are always problems with visas...
 in other countries it’s harder for us than Europeans or Americans... 
 but it doesn’t matter...
 I don’t divide people into nationalities or some kind of artist, people themselves and their work are interesting to me, sometimes there are certainly moments from some country you can hear it both in sound and in manner and in melodies, but sometimes it is very interesting... 
 We ourselves never thought about like in Russian, we just do what we like... but I'm glad that many people that are looking at us will have a better attitude towards Russians... but this is not the most important thing for me...


A simple John Doe making a collage with Zombierella's pictures and with tributes made based on her by Spanish artist Toni Benages Gallard and Belgium Artist Christophe Swijsen 

11. I remember reading somewhere in the web that Svetlana left at some point Messer Chups due to different "tastes in music and food" from you and now she's back on the band.
How do you see her presence as a character and musician in Messer Chups music nowadays?


Yes, there was a short moment when we gave several concerts without Zombierella ... 
 but now she is again with us and we are happy to play concerts together ... 
 We have been playing together for 10 years even more and I think we have nothing to share and I see that this is the perfect composition for us.
 I mean that Zombierella plays bass guitar with us ... and sings a few songs .. she is a symbol of the face and soul of the group ... during our crisis I thought that she was just an asset for the group .. 
 but then I had enlightenment illumination and I realized that she was still a soul and face


A monologue based on social networks, friends, their circles and italian writer Dante Alighieri 

12. We live in a real serious moment in world's history and people are less funny most of the times.
As an individual human being, 
Can you voice your opinion regarding social networks and how they affect people's lives with all its emoticons, likes and comments on them?

I don’t want to talk about it as it’s just stupid what can I say?
 I would just like to put a smiley or some kind of Goff.


13. Can you tell us a bit of your favourite artists and musicians?

I have a lot of favorite artists do not want to name them, like this I would not hurt those who I do not name or that I can forget ...


Messer Chups in their Halloween Tour in U.S.A - 2018 

14. You were in U.S.A on an Halloween tour with Messer Chups this year. 
 How do you see U.S.A today?
Can you tell us if its different now than it was before in their short history as a country?



I really like America and play concerts there especially in California. I think this is my favorite place on earth ... I don’t really know anything about how it was there and how it became ... 
 I am glad that we have fans there and I am glad that we had good concerts .. since America is a difficult country for many artists and I am glad that it treats us with love and understanding.


A tribute artwork to Messer Chups by Japanese Artist Garbagewhichburns 

Many thanks to my friend and excellent musician Oleg Guitaracula for this exclusive interview/conversation/transcription about Russian band Messer Chups 
Feel free to check another one that was made also in this same blogue in a previous post to my friend and XXist century woman Svetlana Zombierella Nagaeva regarding a tribute exhibition with artworks by some of the best contemporary international artists and that I'm organizing and gathering to compile and publish in a book with some written words by myself in the upcoming future.
Special thanks to Svetlana from whom sometimes I borrow her awesome character and to all international Artists who support Zombierella's project and other projects that I'm working on right now.
You're the best 

Lost somewhere in old Europe in a chit chat.

Manuel 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving Ksenia, Janina and Alexandra