Sunday, October 10, 2021

Magic inside The Sandman - Neil Gaiman - memories, my Bela and its TV series

In 1989 the first issue of The Sandman comic book series was published being it written by British writer Neil Gaiman and drawn by American artists Sam Kieth and Mike Dringenberg.
Deep inside my memories, I remember buying comic book issues from this masterpiece in 1993 (during the "A Game Of You" story arc).
What instantly fascinated me in it was how well conceived and developed this saga was with some sloppy art pages that in my humble opinion gave it an heart.
Travelling way back in time in my memories, I remember personally meeting British artist Dave Mckean (who was the artist that conceived all The Sandman covers) in 1993 at Porto, while also personally meeting British artist Bryan Talbot in 2005, American artist Jill Thompson in 2003 at  Lisbon, Spanish Miguelanxo Prado in 2009 at Porto and Frank Quitely in 2010 at London (that were artists who worked on this masterpiece) and finally Neil Gaiman in 2004 in this same city.
Of course that it was a blast meeting several artists personally who worked in one of the best comic book sagas ever.
Later in 2016 I started working in a worldwide scale event exhibition with others artists that worked on it also such as:
Vince Locke, Kelley Jones and Marc Hempel from U.S.A. 
Memories are everything in life in my opinion, below are some artworks and key moments that I deeply treasure in The Sandman saga.


Mike Dringenberg - U.S.A - The Dolls House storyline 


Mike Dringenberg - U.S.A - Preludes and Nocturnes storyline 


Shawn McManus - U.S.A - A Game Of You storyline 


Dave Mckean - UK - Brief Lives storyline 


Jill Thompson - U.S.A - Brief Lives storyline 


Jill Thompson - U.S.A - Brief Lives storyline 


Jill Thompson - U.S.A - Brief Lives storyline 


Jill Thompson - U.S.A - Brief Lives storyline 


Dave Mckean - UK - Brief Lives storyline 

Jon J.Muth - U.S.A - The Wake storyline 


Bill Sienkiewicz - U.S.A - Sketch 

Bill Sienkiewicz - U.S.A - Endless Nights storyline


Barron Storey - U.S.A - Endless Nights storyline


Milo Manara - Italy - Endless Nights storyline

Frank Quitely - UK - Endless Nights storyline


Miguelanxo Prado - Spain - Endless Nights storyline

J.H Williams III - U.S.A - Ouverture storyline


American artist Marc Hempel worked on "The Kindly Ones" storyline, that (maybe) was my favorite one in The Sandman because it marks a change and pivotal key moment on it.
Below are artworks by him based on The Endless (even wearing masks during Covid period or tributes to American artist Ed Gorey with them, just because Marc surely has an astonishing sense of humour regarding society).















































In 2022 a Tv series based on The Sandman will be released by Netflix, but seeing the cast of actors and even knowing that's being supervised by Neil Gaiman himself, I don't feel optimistic with it just because what made me real fond of The Sandman was my continuous urge to know more about this character while mixing my inner physical search within my memories while buying its original run with my Bela in sloppy paper and with some sloppy artwork (like all masterpieces should indeed be in my opinion).
It's a fact that the world does change with digital earning fame over what's physical, but I'm sure that human memories mustn't change at all in the company of their key moments in any single individual in life.

M.

P.S: below is The Sandman TV series trailer 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Loving Ksenia and Janina